Another round of butchery occurred at lunch today. Our young rooster was becoming a menis to the younger egg layers, “John Snow” our other rooster and the preteens, so the decision was made to end its reign of terror. I did things a little differently this time around:
First was to cage him (only time our birds are ever caged) for a day and half with only water (this way he got cleaned out and stayed hydrated)
I also spent $35 (discounted Amazon price, think it was originally $100) on an entry level field dress set. Which comes w diff cutlery, kitchen sheers and a cutting board. I also purchased a set of gloves for the sole purpose of butchery. They are Kevlar and rubber.
The third thing I did differently was stabbing the brain (read this in a butchering book, suppose to lossen feathers) threw the beak after the slicing the neck to drain the blood (I’m still working out a good kill cone stand).
The last change made was to boil the water to a higher temp 180. I then brought the pot downstairs and outside on the table. I assume it probably cooled down to 160-170. But from that point I submerged the rooster in water 3x and shook. The feathers came right out, I was finished in under 10mins.
When I started to butcher, the bird starting honking so of course being a classy fella and all I had to catch it on video…
That’s it for now. I am working on a few things around the yard (rustic tree benches, retaining walls and general landscaping to name a few) I will post once those projects get finished up.
That’s it for now, cheers!