Meet Chris an Cathy! They were dropped off at my old work the day after I got my new Bunny hutch! They were left with a note saying they had coccidia. My friend did a fecal and found some coccidia but not a lot (common with young rabbits specially under stress) She also found a deformed egg that she could not identify. She sent both bunnies home with my sister who still works there with Albon for the coccidia and Panacur for the mystery egg. Because coccidia can be life threatening with young stressed out bunnies I think I’ll get a microscope for the farm. Cathy was HORRIBLE to medicate. She may be pregnant so I’ll take her attitude with a grain of salt. Chris was awesome and just ate it out of the syringe. I tried them for 10 days (after loading dose) and the Panacur I gave at day one and again at 2 weeks. It has been a week or so after treatment so I’ll be checking a fecal when my new microscope get in.
New digital microscope, slides, clover slips, and fecal tubes came in yesterday. I had the whole thing set up and read my first fecal in under 20 minutes. I found a fecal recipe pretty easy online. Salt, sugar, water.
The Microscope: Plugable USB 2.0 Digital Microscope with Flexible Arm Observation Stand for Windows, Mac, Linux (2MP, 250x Magnification)
The Slides: AmScope BS-50P-100S-22 Pre-Cleaned Blank Ground Edge Glass Microscope Slides and 100pc Pre-Cleaned Square Glass Cover Slips Coverslips
The Fecal Tubes: SEOH 16 X 125mm Plastic Test Tubes with Caps, 25 Pack
1. Saturated salt solution
2. Salt/sugar solution
3. Sodium nitrate
fecal recipe source: Flotation Fluids
With a solid night of rain, Penelope figured it was time to join Lola in motherhood. I walked down to the stalls this morning and thought, weird wonder why Lola is out with only one of her Kids, then I realized, nope. It was Penolope and her first born. We arent sure sex of the kid yet since we where running behind our normal schedule and I only had enough time for feeding the hogs, milking, feeding all the goats, cleaning out the stalls (after birth mess and all) and then getting Penelope set in her stall (we keep the mothers and kids in stall lock-up for the first 3 days. To promote bonding and good milking (at least I think that’s why we do it, Jamie knows all the whys).
So far I am loving the new camera. I went with a more name-brand one, spent more then the cheap stationary cameras, but I can definitely tell the difference between this and the el-cheapo.
For starters, it performs like the $300+ cameras I use to install for business (Axis, great cameras) but at a fraction of the cost. I got these between $40-75 with shipping. Since we already have three PTZ cameras we figured why waste the money, and got a few stationary cameras to cover the rest of the spots we want to monitor.
Above is part of the recording screen.The camera isn’t where it will stay. I have learned from replacing 4 crappy camera. And put it up to test and confirm that the cameras will actually work before climbing up the ladder.
I will end noting that these things are impressive for the money. Incredibly smooth playback, great quality image, very nice color correction and still has a nice nighttime shot. They connected without any issue to my Blue Iris setup, as well as my phone and computer browser.
That’s it for now. Till later, Cheers.
We are playing around with new logo ideas for the site. Trying to get something finalized in time to print somethings out for our Bedford Farmers market debut May 7th. Not really post worthy, but incase you do pay attention, that’s why things keep changing.
Another round of butchery occurred at lunch today. Our young rooster was becoming a menis to the younger egg layers, “John Snow” our other rooster and the preteens, so the decision was made to end its reign of terror. I did things a little differently this time around:
First was to cage him (only time our birds are ever caged) for a day and half with only water (this way he got cleaned out and stayed hydrated)
I also spent $35 (discounted Amazon price, think it was originally $100) on an entry level field dress set. Which comes w diff cutlery, kitchen sheers and a cutting board. I also purchased a set of gloves for the sole purpose of butchery. They are Kevlar and rubber.
The third thing I did differently was stabbing the brain (read this in a butchering book, suppose to lossen feathers) threw the beak after the slicing the neck to drain the blood (I’m still working out a good kill cone stand).
The last change made was to boil the water to a higher temp 180. I then brought the pot downstairs and outside on the table. I assume it probably cooled down to 160-170. But from that point I submerged the rooster in water 3x and shook. The feathers came right out, I was finished in under 10mins.
When I started to butcher, the bird starting honking so of course being a classy fella and all I had to catch it on video…
That’s it for now. I am working on a few things around the yard (rustic tree benches, retaining walls and general landscaping to name a few) I will post once those projects get finished up.
That’s it for now, cheers!